I am a wife, a mother, a singer, a songwriter, and most of all, I am an adopted child of God who wants nothing less than to be His vessel to share His light and His hope, love, and joy!


Monday, June 15, 2009

In the Studio!

Hello All!

I was really in my element yesterday, and there’s not much more exciting than that! I was asked to be a backup singer on an R&B Christian album by local artist Rob Howze. He has a youth outreach ministry called World Wide Community. My father took the day off and kept me company and made sure I didn’t get lost! It was about an hour and a half away! But it was really worth it because we had an adventurous day! It was a nice new experience and I think I took out a lot more knowledge about studio work. It really is work. You may think people are just playing and having fun singing in the studio, but it actually quite time consuming and meticulous! Fortunately, Rob sent me a rough copy of the songs weeks ago, so I was able to listen and get it into my spirit, understand how the melody and lyrics go, and start to think about how I can contribute to the songs.

Rob is pretty sharp and spontaneous in his creativity. While I like to plan and work on music for a while in my home, he can come up with things the day of recording! But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I can be a little spontaneous too, and Rob took a few of my suggestions and implemented them into the recordings. Also, I took note that I want to take a page out of Rob’s collaboration book when I record down the road. He was working with four female singers (myself included) and he had a nice balance of directing the process and listening to and responding to our input. He was also very patient with our mistakes and retakes, because it took a lot of takes to get every part done. We spent over an hour collaborating and practicing two songs, and then over three hours in the studio recording those two songs, and they weren’t even finished! He mostly got the female vocals and will do his vocals later on, and of course there’s mixing and mastering, so I don’t know when I’ll have a copy of these tracks but I’m anxious to hear it. Once I get Rob’s okay, I’ll be sure to share the recordings, probably by uploading them to my MySpace Music site. I wanted to take pictures to share but we were literally too busy for pictures. It was nonstop singing but I loved every minute of it!

Another bit of exciting news is that the guy running the studio really seemed to like what he heard. He took my business card and said he may be contacting me about backing up other artists! Please keep me in prayer to continue going through the right doors and that the Lord will close the doors that I should not enter.

Obedience is really the way! I am finding more and more over time, when I do things that God is leading me to do that I don't feel ready for or I don't know how they will work, by taking a small step of obedience and faith, He does the rest of it for me! God is good and faithful! Hallelujah!

Ephesians 6:7-8: "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he
does..."

Thanks for your support and love. God bless!

Love,
Sarah

No comments: